Sicilian Interior Minister Angelo Giunta said on Friday that a suicide bomber had targeted the Sicilian defense ministry and military headquarters in the western city of La Rocca.
He said that at least four people were killed and five others injured when the bomber detonated a device at a military checkpoint, the Sicilians News Agency reported.
It was not immediately clear if the bomber had carried out the attack.
Giunta did not say who was responsible.
A suicide bomber detonated explosives at a checkpoint in Sicily on Friday, killing five people, including a child, a security source told Reuters.
The security source said the bomber was from Libya and that the group has claimed responsibility for the attack on the Sicilia military academy and military police barracks.
The Sicilian government said earlier on Friday the bomber has been identified as 22-year-old Libyan Omar Abdo al-Baghdadi.
Abdo, a Tunisian, was killed in the attack, according to Sicilian police.
Sicilian Interior Ministry spokesman Andrea Giunta confirmed on Friday morning that the bomber targeted the security ministry and the army barracks in La Rocco, where a security officer and a security guard were killed.
Giunta also said there was a threat against the Sicilican ambassador to the United States, Andrea Dall’Antonia, and Italian consular officials in Sicily.
The U.S. State Department condemned the attack in a statement.
“Our hearts go out to those affected by this attack,” the statement said.
“We stand ready to provide consular assistance to the Siciles injured and their families.”
The Sicilia attack came as Islamic States claimed responsibility on Friday for a suicide bombing that killed at least three people in southern Turkey, according a statement posted on the group’s official Amaq news agency.
The attack targeted a checkpoint outside the city of Adana and left at least six people dead, the statement, which was translated by Reuters, said.
The Turkish government condemned the “savage attack” and said security forces responded to the attack “with swift action.”
It said the attack was carried out by a “foreign fighter,” but the identity of the attacker was not known.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry said it had summoned the U.N. mission in Ankara to investigate the incident.
A statement posted by the Turkish Foreign and Defense ministries office of national security, which monitors developments in Syria and Iraq, said “the attack on our soldiers and institutions in Adana is an act of terrorism.”
“This attack does not belong to Daesh or other terrorist organizations,” the agency said.
It said Turkish forces were on the scene in the city, where police and soldiers were stationed, “to confront and destroy terrorism.”
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, a member of Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), said on Twitter that the attack is an attack on “all Turkey.”
“We condemn the barbaric terrorist attack in Turkey,” he said.
The prime minister said the attacks were a “provocation.”
In the past few days, the U,S., Turkey and other nations have expressed concern about attacks on Turkish security forces.
Last week, the United Nations Security Council urged the Turkish government to investigate a series of attacks targeting security forces in northern Iraq.
Last month, U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron told Parliament he had ordered a visit to Turkey for a review of the “incidents of the past” and to ensure that security forces “are prepared to defend our people and protect our values.”
The attacks in Turkey have raised concern in the U to what the U has called “growing” terrorist activity in Turkey.